Oops! My Dog Ate 100mg Edible: What Should I Do? ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿฌ

My Dog Ate 100mg Edible โ€“ As a dog owner, you may have found yourself in a panic after realizing your furry friend has ingested something they shouldnโ€™t have. One common concern among dog owners is when their pet eats an edible containing THC, the active ingredient in marijuana. If your dog has ingested a 100mg edible, you may be wondering what steps you need to take to ensure their safety. In this article, we will discuss the potential effects of THC on dogs, signs of toxicity to watch out for, and steps you can take to help your furry friend recover.

How Do 100mg Edibles Work? ๐Ÿค”

A 100mg edible is a cannabis-infused product that contains 100 milligrams of THC, which is the psychoactive compound found in cannabis. Edibles can come in many forms, including gummies, chocolates, brownies, and more. The strength of an edible is measured in milligrams of THC, and a 100mg edible is considered a high dose for most people.

Itโ€™s important to note that the effects of an edible can vary depending on factors such as your weight, metabolism, and tolerance to THC. For some people, a 100mg edible may be too strong, while others may not feel the effects at all.

When your dog consume an edible, the THC is absorbed through your digestive system and liver, which converts the THC into a more potent form called 11-hydroxy-THC. This process can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on your metabolism and the type of edible you consume.

Because the THC is metabolized by your liver, the effects of an edible can last much longer than other forms of cannabis consumption. You can expect the effects of a 100mg edible to last anywhere from 6 to 12 hours, depending on your tolerance and how much you consume.

Effects of THC on Dogs ๐Ÿงฌ

My dog ate 100mg edible, how dealing with this situation? While THC can cause feelings of relaxation and euphoria in humans, the effects can be quite different for dogs. According to VetCBD, a veterinary-formulated line of CBD products for pets, THC can cause dogs to experience symptoms such as disorientation, lethargy, and incoordination. In severe cases, dogs may even experience seizures or comas.

Signs of THC Toxicity in Dogs ๐Ÿšจ

If your dog has ingested a 100mg edible, you should be aware of the signs of THC toxicity. Gallant, a company that provides pet owners with access to veterinarians via telemedicine, lists the following symptoms as signs of THC toxicity in dogs:

  • Loss of coordination
  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dilated pupils
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Drooling
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Unsteady or wobbly gait
  • Dazed or confused behavior
  • Loss of balance
  • Low blood pressure
  • Slow heart rate

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, it is essential to act quickly to ensure their safety.

What to Do If My Dog Ate 100mg Edible ๐Ÿ†˜

The first step is to call your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital immediately. They will be able to advise you on what to do next based on the severity of your dogโ€™s symptoms.

Itโ€™s important to be honest with your vet about what your dog ingested, including the type of edible, how much was consumed, and when it was consumed. This will help them determine the best course of action.

If your dog is experiencing severe symptoms, your vet may recommend inducing vomiting to remove the remaining contents of the stomach. However, inducing vomiting should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian as it can be dangerous if done improperly.

If you suspect that your dog has eaten an edible, there are a few things that you should do immediately:

  1. Stay calm: It can be frightening to see your dog consume an edible, but itโ€™s important to remain calm. Your dog can sense your anxiety, and this can make the situation worse.
  2. Observe your dog: Monitor your dog for any signs of distress, such as vomiting, lethargy, or difficulty walking. Take note of the time that your dog ingested the edible, and how much was consumed.
  3. Call your vet: Contact your veterinarian or a pet poison control center as soon as possible. They can provide guidance on what to do next and may ask you to monitor your dogโ€™s symptoms or bring them in for treatment.
  4. Donโ€™t induce vomiting: Do not try to induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by a veterinarian. Inducing vomiting can be dangerous in some cases and should only be done under the guidance of a professional.
  5. Keep your dog hydrated: Offer your dog plenty of fresh water to help flush out their system.
  6. Provide a comfortable environment: Make sure your dog has a comfortable place to rest and recover.
  7. Be honest with your vet: If you know the type of edible your dog ate, tell your veterinarian. This information can help them provide better treatment.

What can you expect at the vet?

When you take your dog to the vet, they will likely perform a physical examination to assess your dogโ€™s condition. They may also recommend bloodwork or other tests to check for any abnormalities.

Depending on the severity of the situation, your vet may administer medications to induce vomiting or provide supportive care such as IV fluids to keep your dog hydrated.

If your dog is experiencing severe symptoms, they may need to stay overnight in the hospital for monitoring and treatment.

Prevention ๐Ÿšช

The best way to prevent accidental marijuana toxicity in dogs is to keep all THC-containing products out of their reach. This includes edibles, flowers, concentrates, and any other products that contain THC.

If you use marijuana, be sure to store it in a secure location where your dog cannot access it. This may mean using a lockbox or keeping it in a high cabinet or shelf.

In addition, be mindful of where you consume marijuana. Dogs may be attracted to the smell and try to eat any leftover edibles or flowers. If you have guests over, be sure to keep any marijuana products out of reach of pets.

Here are a few tips to help keep your dog out of harmโ€™s way:

  • Keep all edibles and marijuana products in a secure location that is out of your dogโ€™s reach.
  • If you live in a state where marijuana is legal, make sure to store your products in child-proof containers.
  • Be aware of where your dog is at all times, especially if you are using edibles or other marijuana products in your home.

๐Ÿพ If you have guests over who may have brought edibles with them, remind them to keep them out of reach of your pets. Itโ€™s also important to educate yourself and your family on the potential dangers of edibles. Know the signs and symptoms of ingestion and be prepared to act quickly if your dog consumes an edible. Remember, if your dog has ingested a 100mg edible, it is essential to act quickly. By staying calm, contacting your veterinarian, and providing supportive care, you can help your furry friend recover.


What to Do If My Dog Ate 100mg Edible? In summary, if your dog eats an edible, itโ€™s important to stay calm, observe your dog, call your vet, and provide a comfortable environment. Remember that time is of the essence and the sooner you seek veterinary care, the better the outcome for your dog.

Prevention is key, so be sure to store edibles in a secure location and educate yourself on the potential dangers of edibles. By taking these steps, you can help keep your furry friend safe and healthy.

Leave a Comment